Altercation at KC Zoo ‘free day’ leads to arrest - KansasCity.com
I have held off on commenting on this story because honestly it was just too big of a target and there was just too much speculation on what happened. BUT NOW I feel like I can.
Let's see how much is wrong with this whole scenario
1. Free day is suppose to reward tax payers for footing the bill for the Zoo BUT how many people that went actually paid taxes to fund the zoo? I can guarantee that non of the people in the fight did.
2. How does the mayor hope that East Side parents getting more involved in their kids lives would be good for them? By all reports the PARENTS were the main offenders here. The saying that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree applies.
3. The Zoo will now suffer the same fate as Bannister Mall, Indian Springs Mall, Worlds of Fun and yes the Plaza. Attendance will drop, funds will dry up, exhibits will close and blight will set in on the park.
4. Alternatives will sprout up. Deanna Rose is all ready a huge hit in Joco and takes away attendance from the zoo. How long before a "new zoo" gets developed in Joco or West Wyco? I have heard from several people out here that say that they will NOT be back.
5. You knew it was coming. The Zoo is surrounded by a war zone. This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. Remember all the people getting car jacked on their way back from Starlight????? How long will it be before someone get shot at the freaking zoo? Do they have metal detectors? Sufficient security?
The city has an average zoo at best, is it really worth the time, gas money and entry fee to put yourself at risk? Jocoians everywhere will ask themselves this over the next few months and the results will not be good